Road trip, oh yeah!! Taking a road trip is something that should be on … and then checked off … every American’s bucket list. There’s nothing like getting in your car and setting out across the country on a scenic venture from one state to the next. Nothing else can make you feel freer, and no other vacation adventure will afford you the enjoyment you can experience on a fun and frolicking road trip. But what about that car thing? Do you really want to take your car all that way, putting all those extra miles on it? Will your car even take the wear and tear that a road trip across country likely will put it through? A road trip can give you and your loved ones the experience of your life, but not if your car isn’t up to the challenge. For most people in Jersey City and throughout the country, the best thing to do when planning a road trip is to opt for car rental. Here are some tips on planning the most enjoyable road trip possible.
What you’ll need
- The first thing you need to do is to make a list of every important item you’ll need on your road trip. Naturally, you’ll need a car. It’s important that you’re honest with yourself about your own car. Can it make the trip? If you’re unsure, don’t risk it. If you’re opting for car rental in Jersey City, you need to gather as much information as you can about the various types and sizes of rental cars, costs, fuel economy, etc. Learn a little about the different cars and their GPS systems in order to determine which ones you might feel most comfortable using.
- Next, determine how much money you’ll need. If you’re on a budget, you don’t want to end up spending your mortgage on food and gas for your road trip. The idea of the trip is to have fun and be free. The last thing you need is to return to a lack of funds when you need them for everyday living.
- Of course, you’ll need luggage, but you don’t want to bog yourself and your vehicle down with items you don’t need. If you have a destination in mind, look into the weather conditions for the duration of your trip. On the other hand, if your plan is to get in your rental car in Jersey City and then go where the wind takes you, pack a little for all weather conditions, since you really have no idea where you’ll end up.
What you should do
- You’ll need to map out your driving route (unless your plan is to drive by the seat of your proverbial pants). If you’re a member of an auto club such as AAA, you may want to enlist the help of their travel planners.
- Prepare for all weather and road conditions as necessary. For instance, if you’re planning on driving to Canada, it’s important to note the cold, snow, and ice conditions that may be occurring there during your trip. Make sure the car you’re driving is equipped with snow tires, functioning heat, etc. Additionally, it’s vital that you include an emergency kit and any other items that may be necessary in an emergency. Always bring extra blankets, socks, clothes, hats, batteries, food, water, etc., when traveling through areas that may get cold. And, when considering driving in snowy conditions, try not to travel at night and never drive alone through unfamiliar territory or areas where there are few rest stops. Too many travelers have gotten lost and frozen to death while driving through unfamiliar and unforgiving cold spells.
- Make overnight reservations ahead of time. Or, when plotting out your route, note rest stops that include accommodations. If the whole idea of your trip is to be spontaneous and free, bring along a printed guidebook that includes information about rest stops, motels, and hotels along the way. Never count solely on your electronics to give you all the information you need while on a road trip. It’s also a good idea to bring along a printed map for this same reason.
If you’re planning on taking a road trip, you want it to be as fun and carefree as possible. And that’s the key word for a road trip … planning. It might sound anti-road trip, but planning your trip, at least the main details of it, is vital if you want your vacation to be as cheerful and breezy as it can be. From budgeting, to emergency kits, to GPS systems, to car rental, it’s important that you take time to iron out the details of your trip beforehand. And if you need more information on planning your trip, including what types of rental cars are best for your needs, contact a car rental company for more information.